Saint Mary and St Joseph Aiskew near Bedale
A BRIEF HISTORY
The Lady Throckmorton of Carlton left £2,500 in her Will of 1839 for the building of a new church for the Aiskew Mission, but it took nearly 35 years for the church and presbytery, designed by George Goldie, to be built.
When it was opened in 1878, the Aiskew-Bedale Mission was independent of patronage by the gentry for the first time, and became a parish in its own right. It maintained its own priest from 1878 until 2002.
The present congregation is made up of people of all ages and interests and welcomes visitors and new residents. After Mass on Sunday, tea, coffee, soft drinks and biscuits are served in the parish centre next door to the church.